Bahai inspired life coaching

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Abundance in Baha'i Inspired Life Coaching

One day someone asked me what the key to abundance was, and you know what I answered?

I bet you thought I was going to say “prayer”, didn’t you? And no, it wasn’t “grace” either, though both things are necessary.

Remember this quote from Ruhi Book 1? I had tutored this book countless times before I finally “got it”.

The WHOLE DUTY of man in this Day is to attain that share of the flood of grace which God poureth forth for him.
(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 8)

Not only this, but sometimes I feel guilty for reaching for the bounties, but God alleviates this fear, and gives me a reason to do it:

Strive ye to receive your share of this eternal food, so that ye shall be loved and cherished in this world and the next.
('Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha, p. 77)

When I finally I understood these 2 quotes, I couldn’t believe that my full time job was to “catch the goodies that God is showering upon me, and that not only would I get the “goodies” but also be loved in both worlds!” YES! This is heady stuff! “The Secret” has nothing on these Bahá'í quotes!

And how does one receive abundance? By paying the Right of God (Huqúqu’lláh) . . . :

It is clear and evident that the payment of the Right of God is conducive to prosperity . . .
(Huqúqu’lláh, p. 2)

However, the people are as yet ignorant of its significance.
(Huqúqu’lláh, p. 15)

. . . and by giving sacrificially to the Bahá'í Fund.


Be ye assured that in place of these contributions, your agriculture, your industry, and your commerce will be blessed by manifold increases, with goodly gifts and bestowals. He who cometh with one goodly deed will receive a TENFOLD
REWARD.
(Baha'i Prayers, p. 83)

Where in this day and age, can we find a guaranteed 10% return on investment we can trust?

So this is something I practice on a regular basis. Whether it’s giving with my time, my knowledge or my money, I give freely, and turn the cup of my life heavenward, to make sure I catch every bounty coming my way.

There’s another element which I found interesting: gratitude.


Arise to offer thanks to God, in order that thanksgiving may conduce to the increase of bounty.
('Abdu'l-Bahá, Tablets of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, p. 484.)

If we aren’t grateful for the things we already have, why would God give us any more?

Knowing God’s promises has taken a lot of pressure off my shoulders, and whenever I find myself getting worried about money, I remember to ask Him to let me do the work and let Him find the money.

The bounties aren’t always cheques in the mail. Sometime a friend makes extra food and brings some over. Other times, someone takes me out for dinner and pays for it. Sometimes, an overbooked day gets cancelled so I have some needed time to myself, and sometimes it’s payment for an act of service. A few months ago, a friend sold me a car on a “pay me when you can, interest free” plan, charging me half the market value! Recently a “soup kitchen” has opened in our community, free to anyone who wants to go. They serve 3 course meals twice a week, and there are always leftovers to take home for meals in between! As a single person living a busy life, I don’t always have time to shop or cook and there isn’t much incentive to cook on my own, so now I’m eating much more healthy foods, on a regular basis and I am grateful!

What forms has abundance taken in your life? Post your comments here.

3 comments:

Jono Coach said...

Dear Susan:

Allah'u'Abha!

Exceptional blog on "abundance". Jesus refers to 30%, 60%, and 100% increases for those who believe, but Baha'u'llah's Dispensation provides for a "tenfold" increase (1000%) for those who recognize, obey, and teach His glorious Cause of Unity for this stupendous Age.

Jono Coach, the Porcupine Camp in Timmins, northeastern Ontario, Canada in the heart of the Northwesterly Boreal Forest on the Great Canadian Shield

Wayfarer said...

Right now I am feeling abundance in my life and I believe it has everything to do with staying open to the bounties that come, recognizing them, embracing them, trusting in God, surrendering self, and then as the saying goes "feeling the fear and doing it anyway."

I believe each of us has a different bounties provided to us at different stages of our lives depending on the purpose laid out before us. Right now I am seeing abundance in my career path and I am so grateful for it. Doors are opening, I'm meeting th right people at the right time, and I am receiving an abundant amount of energy to walk bravely into new territory.

I can look back and see that when I started contributing to the Right of God abundance followed and continues to follow as I continue to make it a priority.

Remembering Obligatory prayers and reading the writings daily is also a prescription for me that keeps me focused and aware of the blessings when they come.

We really live in a world of abundance and there is enough of everything for everyone...are we not moving closer to realizing this as a global society day by day by day?

Unknown said...

Hi Susan ... I love the idea of "catching the goodies" ... something I must remember when I feel I "don't deserve".
Thank you.
Hugs, Alison (Enderby)